Sunday, December 3, 2006

Holidays, health, and happiness.

I realized, which much chagrin, that the holidays just aren't what they used to be. The "magic" seems to be dwindling to the point that it's teetering on the brink of nonexistence. Now don't get me wrong, I understand the IMPORTANCE of the holidays...and I refer to the importance of the REAL reason we (well, at least those of us that believe that Christ is King) celebrate Christmas. No, I don't mean the fluffy, pseudo-spiritual, "kindness, sharing, and helping your fellow man/woman." That's awesome stuff...but it shouldn't be regulated to only during the holidays, should it? No...I'm referring to the birth of Christ and the significance of God's gift in Him.

But I'm getting sidetracked down a path of ministry here (I'll leave that to my Dad...it's literally his job). I suppose the idea of Ol' St. Nick was a large part of the charge of Christmas when you're a kid. I mean, c'mon...there's no denying it's pretty awesome to wake up and just be GIVEN a bunch of stuff that you want, right? And you can't deny that the ideas of flying reindeer, magical slips up and down chimneys, and sleighs that somehow regret space and time isn't cool.

No comments: