Sunday, December 31, 2006

Ringin' in the New Year.

The year is about to come to and end and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I watched a webcast regarding a poll on what people felt about the upcoming year and was sort of confused that less than 20% felt that 2007 would be a better year (overall) while 80% felt that it would be PERSONALLY a better year. Either that means that folks were going to learn to suck it up in the bitterness of a horrible world...or what I've always suspected in that polls, and with most statistical things, are pointless and contradictory. The jury's still out on that in my book.

What do I think about the transition coming in less than eight hours? I guess The Emperor said it best when he said "So be it, Jedi" (that's more fun to quote than "whatever will be will be." There's no lie...2006 was a rough year, personally. I struggled with issues at my place of employment (some of which have been remedied, Thank God) and most notably had a series of bad luck with my health this Fall. I guess in light of that, I'm most hopeful for a HEALTHY 2007.

But in retrospect, I need to remain thankful for the good stuff of 06. Lindsay and I still have our modest, but lovely home. The dogs are healthy and doing well and keeping us laughing and busy. We had a couple of nice trips under our belt; my catching a Tigers' game at Comerica Park for the first time was most exciting. And as funny as it sounds (I'll deny it to anyone), it was nice to see the in laws move within a five hour radius...as opposed to 12 or more. It's nice to know that there's someone relatively close in case anything major happens.

Sadly, though...I'll miss Grandma...who passed in October. She was an amazing woman and truly a unique treasure and sometimes I wish that I was a "closer" grandson to her (though communicating with her since her stroke almost two years ago made things difficult). I truly believe that God's will was accomplished in her life (and what a long and amazing one she had!) and I hope that I can say the same when it's my time to go.

So...I guess it's time to soldier forth into a new year. Funny how they just seem to go by faster as you get older (celebrating 2004-to-'5 didn't seem that long ago...nor did 1996-to-97 either). I guess I can't say that I have any other predictions...other than..."it's a new year." Let's hope it's a good one.

No comments: